Murder Defense Lawyer in South Carolina
Being charged with murder can be incredibly overwhelming, stressful, and confusing. South Carolina murder attorney Jack B. Swerling has significant experience defending clients against violent crime charges, including murder charges, at the state, federal, and appellate levels.
SC Murder, Manslaughter & Reckless Homicide Charges
- South Carolina, unlike other jurisdictions, does not have degrees of murder. South Carolina recognizes:
- Murder– The unlawful killing of another with malice
- Manslaughter- The intentional killing without malice
- Involuntary Manslaughter- Unintentional killing without malice
- Reckless Homicide– Same as involuntary manslaughter, but involving a motor vehicle
SC Murder Charge Defenses
Depending on the law and facts of a case, there are several defenses available to a murder charge in South Carolina:
- Defense of self or others
- Castle Doctrine
- Act by law enforcement
- Not guilty by reason of insanity
- The crime was committed by someone else
South Carolina recognizes three levels of assault and battery:
- Assault and battery with intent to kill (malice)
- Assault and batter of high and aggravated nature (no malice required, but circumstances of aggravation)
- Simple assault
Jack Swerling has handled in excess of 250 homicide cases during his career. He has handled an even larger number of assaults.
Experienced and immediate legal defense against murder charges
It is critical you retain the best legal defense possible—as quickly as possible—if you or someone you love has been or expects to be charged with murder or assault in South Carolina. You can reach South Carolina murder defense lawyer Jack B. Swerling 24 hours a day through our law firm by calling 800-701-0599.
South Carolina criminal lawyer Jack Swerling has a reputation for vigorously defending his clients’ rights. He is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers, the American Board of Criminal Lawyers, the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. He has been listed for years in Best Lawyers in America and was named a South Carolina Super Lawyer in the inaugural edition of the South Carolina Super Lawyer 2008 magazine, and again in 2009 and 2010.
Contact South Carolina murder attorney Jack Swerling today at 800-701-0599..