South Carolina Lawyer Adept at State Criminal Defense
Columbia attorney will represent you at every point of the legal process
If you have been arrested or charged with a crime in South Carolina, it is important to find an experienced defense lawyer who will aggressively represent you. Jack B. Swerling, Attorney at Law, in Columbia, SC has spent more than 40 years defending people accused of state crimes. He is known across South Carolina for his representation of clients at trial and on appeal in cases that run across a broad range of felonies and misdemeanors. You can trust Mr. Swerling to manage every aspect of your case and to pursue the best possible results.
Defending South Carolina state criminal charges at trial and on appeal
Mr. Swerling’s vast criminal defense experience includes cases involving charges of:
- Drug offenses — Mr. Swerling handles all types of controlled substance violations from simple possession to drug trafficking.
- Violent crimes — This category of offenses carries severe penalties. Mr. Swerling has ample experience in the most serious cases, from aggravated assault to manslaughter, homicide and murder. He also handles gun charges and gang-related offenses.
- Theft crimes — If you are charged with larceny, burglary, robbery or any other theft crime, Mr. Swerling is determined to protect your rights and fight for a positive outcome.
- Felony DUI — If you are accused of driving under the influence and thereby causing an accident that resulted in great bodily harm or the death of another person, you can rely on Jack B. Swerling to mount an aggressive defense.
- Sexual crimes — Mr. Swerling handles defense against a wide range of sexual offenses, including assault, solicitation, prostitution and charges related to pornography.
- White collar crimes — If you are accused of a nonviolent economic crime, such as embezzlement, breach of trust, public corruption, fraud, insurance fraud, or forgery, Mr. Swerling can provide a detailed defense challenging each element of the charges.
If you have been arrested or charged, you need a skilled and determined criminal lawyer by your side through every step of the legal process. Jack B. Swerling can protect your rights and advise you on the important decisions you must make concerning your defense.
Vigorous representation early in your case
Criminal defendants are guaranteed certain rights, including the right to counsel, the right to a speedy and public trial and the right against self-incrimination. If you have been notified that you are under investigation, Mr. Swerling will try to persuade prosecutors not to file charges at all. If there is a grand jury investigation, Mr. Swerling’s experienced legal representation will help you deal with the wide array of issues that can arise. Once charges are filed or an indictment is issued, Mr. Swerling will take charge of the case and guide you through the process that follows. If you are arrested, Mr. Swerling will request a bond hearing and help to secure your release.
Effective strategies to manage pre-trial proceedings
Mr. Swerling will be sure to obtain all the information needed for a thorough defense, including the evidence the state possesses and all other testimony and other evidence that may be available. He also has considerable experience in negotiating plea agreements, which might include a dismissal of certain charges, a plea to lesser charges and a stipulation to lenient sentencing.
Skilled trial management and robust resources
If it is in the client’s best interest to go to trial, Mr. Swerling provides a vigorous defense. He thoroughly prepares for testing the prosecution’s case through cross-examination and presentation of exculpatory evidence. He calls on his experienced staff and on outside specialists, including investigators, forensic experts, consultants and professional researchers.
Steadfast counsel at the sentencing phase
Mr. Swerling’s extensive experience also comes into play at the sentencing stage of a case, where he prepares a strong presentation to the sentencing judge and arguing for as light a sentence as possible. Mr. Swerling also provides legal representation on a range of post-adjudication issues, such as probation, parole, pardons and expungement of records.
Contact our law firm for determined defense to criminal charges in South Carolina
If you are facing state criminal charges or learn you are the subject of a criminal investigation, call Jack B. Swerling, Attorney at Law, at 800-701-0599 24 hours a day or contact him online to schedule a consultation at his Columbia office.