Attorney Jack B. Swerling – In The News
CLICK IMAGE TO READ ARTICLE
South Carolina criminal defense lawyer Jack B. Swerling has regularly appeared in the print media for some of his more widely known cases. He is often called on to comment on legal developments, cases, and personalities. He has also been the subject of numerous feature articles.
Here are a few of the articles in the print media:
- Jack was selected to Super Lawyers Magazine Top Ten List for 2017. Each year Super Lawyers recognizes the top lawyers in South Carolina via a selection process involving peer evaluations, independent research and professional achievement. The South Carolina lawyers who receive the highest points during this selection process are further recognized in the South Carolina Super Lawyers Top Ten List.
- Jack Swerling obtains not guilty verdict in 8 day criminal sexual conduct trial.
- Jack Swerling listed in the Free Times as one of the 100 influential people in Columbia,
- Circuit Judge grants Jack Swerling’s motion to dismiss a murder prosecution under the “Stand Your Ground” law after a two day hearing on the merits.
- The University of South Carolina School of Law awards Jack B. Swerling its 2014 Platinum Compleat Lawyer Award.
- South Carolina Supreme Court rules that security guard acted in self defense when he shot and killed a man that was attacking him. Conviction vacated. (October 2011)
- Was selected by the Supreme Court to serve on the Docket Management Task Force.
- Fairfield County jury finds man not guilty in shooting case. (October, 2010)
- Was recognized as one of the Midlands Legal Elite in Business Monthly Magazine.
- Aiken County Sheriff’s Deputy found not guilty on misconduct in office and assault and battery charges. (August 11, 2010)
- Was again selected to be listed in the current edition of Best Lawyers In America. He will be listed in the categories of criminal defense, both white collar and non-white collar crime and appellate practice. Also, the firm was selected as a Best Law Firm.
- Was again selected as a Super Lawyer in the current edition of South Carolina Super Lawyer Magazine in the area of criminal defense.
- Was selected to be a member of the faculty of an Intensive Trial Advocacy Program sponsored by the National Institute of Trial Advocacy. The program took place between April 21 – 23, 2010 at the United States District Court in Columbia.
- Was selected as a Fellow in the Litigation Counsel Of America.
- Was selected by Corporate Counsel Magazine as a Top Corporate Lawyer.
- Was recognized for his 25 years of service to the South Carolina Bar and Judiciary as coordinator, moderator and speaker of the annual Criminal Law Update. The presentation was made by the Chief Justice of the South Carolina’s Supreme Court at the annual meeting of the bar. (January 2010)
- Was successful in having tax fraud charges against a client dismissed in the United States District Court.
- Was successful in helping a client avoid money laundering charges in the United States District Court.
- Listed in the current Best Lawyers edition of Columbia Metropolitan Magazine under the categories of criminal defense, criminal defense white collar, and appellate practice.
- Guest lecturer on Criminal Trial Advocacy for Assistant United States Attorneys at the National Advocacy Center. (August 2011)
- Selected by Best Lawyers In America as one of their 2012 lawyers of the year in Columbia.
- Successfully defended Antonio Mobley in a York County murder case. The jury returned the not guilty verdict on April 3, 2009. This was the first case brought by the State Grand Jury in what they contended was a gang related murder.
- Made a presentation to the Mecklenburg County, NC Bar Association’s Silent Partners Luncheon on November 12, 2008 on “What it Means To Be a Lawyer”
- Presented a Criminal Law Update at the SC Judicial Conference on August 22, 2008
- Was again selected to be listed in the current edition of Best Lawyers In America. Mr. Swerling will be listed in the categories of criminal defense, both white collar and non-white collar crime and appellate practice.
- Has been appointed by the Chief Justice of South Carolina to serve on a task force to review and study revisions to the South Carolina Rules of Criminal Procedure. (October 6, 2008)
- York County Coroner not guilty of cocaine charges. (May 24, 2008)
- Inducted into the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. (March 26, 2008)
- Chief of Police found not guilty in election fraud case. (February 18, 2008)
- Hung jury in murder case in Chester County.
- State Treasurer Thomas Ravenel cocaine charge
- Court suppresses evidence against former prosecutor
- Homegold/Carolina investors case
- Capital defense improves in the Carolinas
- Former Lt. Governor Earle E. Morris, Jr. and Carolina Investors
More Newspaper Articles >>
Jack Swerling has also been the subject of numerous feature articles. Here are a few of the articles in the print media:
Mr. Swerling is also known for his lectures, presentations and appearances as a trial lawyer, a criminal defense analyst or guest commentator on national, regional and local tv stations.
Among the shows on which he has been a guest are:
- NBC Dateline
- Inside Edition
- Ricki Lake Talk Show
- Today Show
- NBC Today
- NBC Evening News
- CNN News
- Fox News
- CNN International
- Nancy Grace Headline News
- Court TV
- ABC Nightline
- Rita Cosby Special